Whilst each of our policies have varying levels of cover depending on the needs of the policyholder and the level of cover they have chosen, it is important to note that under all of our travel insurance policies, changes in Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) travel advice and government-imposed restrictions including quarantine/lockdown of a geographical area, are not covered events. However, we’ve made specified exceptions to the general exclusion against claims arising from or relating to a pandemic or epidemic. This means that if you buy a new policy now, or even if you already have a policy and are yet to travel, you’ll have cover if:
- You contract Coronavirus whilst abroad and need medical treatment, or have to return home early as a result of your condition.
- You contract Coronavirus or are required to quarantine abroad following virus exposure and need to extend your policy. We’ll cover the cost of additional accommodation and transport until its safe for you to return home.
- You or your travel companion develop symptoms and are advised against travel by your GP, test positive for Coronavirus or are asked to self-isolate by the NHS or under the government’s ‘Test and Trace’ scheme and have to cancel your trip. Please note that this applies to isolation in individual circumstances only; you won’t be covered if you can’t travel due to a local or national lockdown.
- You’re denied boarding on pre-booked public transport because you or your travel companion are showing signs of Coronavirus and are unable to travel as a result.
- A close relative of you or your travel companion becomes seriously ill with a pandemic/epidemic illness and you need to cancel or cut your trip short.