Canada is the world’s second largest country and, as a result, it’s a place of great diversity. Home to vast mountains, craggy coastlines, awe-inspiring cities and beautiful fjords, it boasts striking natural landscapes and the best of modern life too.

Canada has a mixed culture and heritage which is best experienced in the cuisine of its major cities. You can sample a macaron in the distinctly French Montreal, wander around the Asian night markets in Vancouver or sample the best of everything in Toronto, which is regularly voted as the most cosmopolitan city in the world. Just make sure you travel with plenty of Canadian dollars so you can grab food as you go.

Away from the city, Canada gives holiday-makers the chance to reconnect with nature. Tourists flock to the Canadian Rockies, where snow-capped mountains draw Winter Sports and Ski enthusiasts every year. If you’re looking for something more laid back, you’ll have the opportunity to explore one of Canada’s 46 incredible national parks. 

Whatever you plan on doing, it's important that you get travel insurance for Canada to help protect yourself against any unforeseen eventualities.

Below is some more information about our products, for which Terms and Conditions apply. Please visit the policy information hub for full details.

If you fall ill or get injured in Canada, travel insurance can help cover the cost of your care. Unlike many Commonwealth countries such as Australia, the UK and Canada don’t have a reciprocal health agreement, so although healthcare is still available for tourists, it can be incredibly expensive if you travel without insurance.

Similarly, if your journey is disrupted due to one of Canada’s infamous snowstorms, your travel insurance for Canada can help cover you if you are delayed because your airport is snowbound, or if you miss your flight. It can also provide you with cover if any of your personal possessions are lost, stolen or damaged.

At Allianz Assistance, we can provide you with a Single Trip, Annual or Backpacker travel insurance policy. We also offer three different levels of cover across our Single Trip and Annual policies: Bronze, Silver and Gold. They can protect you against: 

  • Cancelling or curtailing your trip
  • Emergency medical and associated expenses
  • Loss of passport*
  • Delayed personal possessions
  • Lost, stolen or damaged personal possessions*
  • Loss of personal money*
  • Personal accident cover
  • Missed departures
  • Delayed departures
  • Personal liability
  • Legal expenses
  • End-supplier failure**
  • *Not available with Bronze level cover
  • **Only available with Gold  level cover
  • Terms and Conditions apply.
Please remember that, if you’re purchasing travel insurance for Canada, for Annual policies, you’ll need to select ‘Worldwide (including USA and Canada)’ as your area of cover.

Depending on how often you travel, you may find that Single Trip or multi-trip travel insurance for Canada is best suited to your needs.

If you’re only making one trip this year, then Single Trip travel insurance for Canada is the best option for you. But, if you’re planning multiple trips, then Annual travel insurance to include Canada may prove to be more cost effective than buying several Single Trip policies.

Similarly, if you’re travelling the world on a backpacking holiday and are stopping off in Canada, then you may find that our Backpacker travel insurance is right for you. 

The cost of travel insurance for Canada will vary depending on a number of factors, including:

  • The number of people travelling
  • The age of the people travelling
  • The length of your holiday
  • Whether you have any medical conditions to declare, as this will affect your eligibility
  • Whether you need any additional cover

The best way to find out how much your travel insurance for Canada will cost is to get a quote online. By supplying us with a few basic details about you and your trip, we’ll be able to provide you with a quote.

With Whistler, Lake Louise and the Big White Ski Resort all within Canada’s borders, the country is incredibly popular with skiers, snowboarders and winter sports enthusiasts. But, if you’re thinking of taking part in some winter sports when you travel to Canada, you’ll need to buy additional cover. With our Winter Sports and Ski add-on, you’ll be protected against risks that are specific to winter sports, such as piste closures, avalanche closures and lost ski equipment. 

From 5th May 2021 we will no longer be offering travel insurance policies to cover people’s pre-existing medical conditions. This is only a temporary measure while we make improvements to our online booking engine. Please keep an eye on the Allianz Assistance website in the future so you are aware when we are able to offer this additional cover again.  Policies purchased before 5th May 2021 aren't affected and your cover won't change.

Once the updates have been made, and we're able to offer travel insurance to cover pre-existing medical conditions again, before you buy your Canada travel insurance policy, you should make sure that you declare any pre-existing medical conditions you have through our medical screening process. If you fail to declare your conditions, they won’t be covered by your policy.

You will be able to see if we can cover your conditions, simply click ‘Get a Quote’ and select your policy type before providing us with some basic information about your trip. If you have any questions about the medical screening process, or you’re unsure what pre-existing conditions are not covered, please call us on 0371 200 0428 (from 9am to 5pm - Monday to Friday).

One of the impreovments we are making is to extend the offer of pre-existing medical condition cover onto our Annual travel insurance policy. 

If you’re a British citizen, you won’t need a visa to visit Canada if you’re only staying for a short period. But you will need to get an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) if you’re travelling by air. You can apply for an eTA online via the official Canadian government website.

If you’re travelling by land or sea, you won’t need an eTA when you enter Canada. However, you must travel with acceptable travel documents and identification.

Almost 750,000 Brits visit Canada every year and, even though Canada is considered to be a relatively safe country to visit, there are a number of things that you should be aware of before you travel to Canada.

Firstly, you should visit your healthcare practitioner 6-8 weeks before you travel, to check whether you require any vaccinations for your trip. Generally speaking, you’ll need to ensure all of your primary courses and boosters are up to date, and you may need diphtheria and tetanus vaccinations (these are recommended for most travellers). If your healthcare practitioner believes you’re at an increased risk, then they may also recommend hepatitis A, hepatitis B and rabies vaccinations.1

You should also be wary of heavy snowfall in the winter months. During this time, highways are often closed in British Columbia and other Provinces because of snowstorms and avalanches. To understand conditions, you should check local news and weather reports and visit Environment Canada before you make a journey. You should also be aware that, because Canada is so vast, journeys often take longer than they do in the UK.

Although crime rates in Canada are relatively low, you should be wary of pickpockets. Many pickpockets can target tourists in busy areas, particularly around monuments and popular photo spots. Never leave your valuables on show and ensure they’re always stored away safely when not in use.

When browsing shops or looking at menus in restaurants, you should also be aware that the price of an item may not be the final price you pay. This is because a Goods and Service Tax is added to the bill. In addition to this, tipping is preferred in bars, restaurants and hotels.

1 Source: TravelHealthPro

Backpacking is a great way to see the world. With our Backpacker travel insurance, you can experience the beauty of Canada and still have cover as you travel elsewhere. 

Canada’s incredibly popular with winter sports enthusiasts and it’s easy to see why. If you’re visiting the slopes of Whistler or the pistes of Mont-Tremblant, our Winter Sports and Ski insurance is suitable for most travellers. 

If you’re planning on taking multiple trips in addition to Canada this year, then our Annual travel insurance may be just right for you. Whether you’re seeing the sights of Toronto or admiring the beauty of Lake Louise, we can provide cover. 
If you’re taking the whole family on the holiday of a lifetime to Canada, you can place everyone on the same policy with our Family travel insurance for Canada. 

Only visiting Canada once this year? You’ll find that our Single Trip travel insurance for Canada is best for you. It can cover you for up to 180 days, so you have plenty of time to see this wonderful country. 
Many sports and leisure activities are covered on our standard travel insurance policies at no additional premium. From 5th May 2021 we will temporarily be unable to offer cover while you take part in riskier Category 2 and Category 3 sports and leisure activities like kite surfing and rugby. This is only for the short term, while we make improvements to our online booking process. Please keep an eye on the Allianz Assistance website in the future so you are aware when we are able to offer this additional cover again. 
Canada’s a great place to visit in retirement. If you’re considering a visit to The Great White North, then you may find that our Seniors travel insurance is right for you.